Cat Town Café
Cat Town is excited to announce that Cat Town Café – the nation’s first cat café – is now open!
The Cafe expands our ability to help more cats and kittens find homes! In the “Cat Zone”, adoptable cats are free-roaming and enable us to empty many more cages at Oakland’s municipal shelter.
The Cat Town Café is open Wednesday through Sunday, 8 am to 7 pm, with the Cat Zone open 10 am to 7 pm.
Please consider helping us make the Café space extra special for cats, kittens, and visitors, by making a donation, and guarantee your entry into the Cat Zone by making a reservation at the Cat Town Café website (free walk-ins are welcome as space allows).
How the Cat Town Café furthers our Rescue Mission
Cat Town began as an all-volunteer foster-based rescue organization in 2011. As shelter volunteers, we saw that cats at the Oakland shelter who were scared, sick or older, or traumatized by having just lost their homes, rarely made it into adoption and were even less likely to be taken by a rescue group.
Having started first with the hardest-to-place cats, we’ve helped over 600 at-risk cats who were considered “unadoptable” in a shelter environment.
With the Cafe, we’re able to expand our mission to find homes for cats who aren’t harder to place, but who are competing for space at the busy open-admission Oakland shelter, especially during summer and fall when the shelter receives hundreds of displaced kittens.
The Cafe allows us to not only empty more cages, but allow the cats who remain at the Oakland shelter to get more attention from volunteers, stay healthier, and have more opportunity for sooner adoption with fewer cats and kittens competing for attention.
- Friday sweet read: Scenes from America’s first cat cafe (Dot 429, 7 November 2014)
- We Visit Oakland’s Cat Town Cafe, the First Cat Cafe in the U.S. (Catster, 6 November 2014 — great photos!)
- Coffee With Cats: America’s First Cat Cafe Opens In Oakland (Inquisitr, 4 November 2014)
- America’s First Cat Cafe Is Open. Here’s What It’s Like Inside. (The Huffington Post, 3 November 2014 — photos!)
- The country’s first cat cafe is here, and it’s just the beginning (Mashable, 3 November 2014)
- Cat Town Cafe, America’s First Cat Cafe, Now Open In Oakland (SF Eater, 27 October 2014 — lots of photos!)
- America’s First Cat Cafe Now Open In Oakland (SF Weekly, 27 October 2014)
- America’s First Cat Cafe Is Open for Business (First To Know, 27 October 2014)
- Nation’s First Cat Cafe Opens in Oakland (Time, 25 October 2014)
- Inside America’s First Cat Café (Fast Company, 24 October 2014 — great photos!)
- Oakland cat café comes closer to reality, set to open in September (Oakland Local, 14 July 2014)
- Cat Town Cafe Set to Open in Oakland in September (NBC Bay Area, 4 July 2014)
- The Race For America’s First Cat Cafe Heats Up As Oakland’s Cat Town Cafe Signs Lease (SFist, 2 July 2014)
- Oakland’s Cat Cafe, Cat Town Cafe, Snags a Location (Eater San Francisco, 1 July 2014)
- Cat Town Cafe Finds Home in Oakland, Set to Open in September (East Bay Express, 1 July 2014)
- Felines + Coffee = Cat Town Café (Best Friends Animal Society news, 14 March 2014)
- Want a Kitten With Your Latte? Cat Cafes Coming to Oakland, San Francisco (KQED, 11 March 2014)
- Interview: Adam Myatt and Ann Dunn (Cult Meow, 8 March 2014)
- Cat Town Cafe: Taking cats off the street and into cafes in Oakland (Daily Californian, 21 February 2014)
- Oakland’s Cat Town Café: The race is on for North America’s first cat café (Oakland Local, 20 February 2014)
- Homeless cats could be coming to a cafe near you (Today.com, 10 February 2014)
- New cafes let you drink tea… and pet cats? (Money.MSN.com, 7 February 2014)
- Cat Race: Oakland, San Francisco Vie for America’s First Cat Cafe (NBC Bay Area, 5 February 2014)
- America Is Finally Getting Its First Cat Cafes (The Huffington Post, 3 February 2014)
- We Can Haz Kittez Cafes in SF and Oakland? (The Bold Italic, 30 January 2014)
- Now Oakland Is Getting a Cat Cafe, Too: Cat Town (Eater San Francisco, 29 January 2014)
- Not to Be Outdone By S.F., Oakland Gets Its Own Cat Cafe (SF Weekly, 29 January 2014)
- Cat Café to Open in Oakland (East Bay Express, 29 January 2014)